Friday, June 5, 2009




Fast forward three months.  Grass replaced by mulch and edible plants, such as avocado, two fig trees, two chicasaw plum trees, two cherry of the rio grande trees, pineapple guava, strawberry guava, okinawa spinach, blueberry bushes, a papaya tree, passion fruit vine, yucca plants, ginger, and amaranth.  

Three raised beds are providing beans, summer squash, tons of tomatoes, eggplant and peppers.

There are challenges, like grass that keeps growing even after it was smothered by cardboard.  

Some mistakes:  I experimented with corn, and the ears never matured.  I also planted too many tomatoes and they are spreading over all three gardens.  I needed taller poles for the pole beans.

It amazes me how fast everything grows in Florida.  I'm thrilled to actually be able to eat from my own garden! 

No comments:

Post a Comment